Cambodia Petroleum Master Plan 2021
General Department of Petroleum, Ministry of Mines and Energy of Cambodia | February 2022
According to the Cambodia National Energy Statistics (2019), oil demand in Cambodia is significant, and its share per total primary energy supply (TPES) was 42% in 2018, followed by biomass (33%). The demand for gasoline and diesel oil, mainly used as road transport fuels, accounted for 81% of total oil demand in 2018. Oil in Cambodia is all imported from Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam. There are two main oil import places in Cambodia serving as primary terminals due to their storage capacity: Sihanoukville along the coastline and Phnom Penh along the Mekong River. The share of oil unloaded at Sihanoukville is approximately 70%; that unloaded at Phnom Penh is the remaining 30%. Currently, tank trucks transport gasoline and diesel oil to each province directly from the primary terminals in Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh. In addition, a small amount of oil is transported by rail from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh and Battambang due to poor railway condition. According to the Cambodia Energy Outlook 2019, part of the East Asia Summit (EAS) Energy Outlook (2020) that includes 17 EAS countries except for Russia, oil demand, especially gasoline and diesel oil, will increase 1.8 times from 2018 to 2030 and 3.2 times to 2040 due to continuous stable economic growth. Thus, the General Department of Petroleum (GDP), Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) should seek optimal oil logistics from the primary terminals to each province in 2030 and 2040 to show oil companies – which make economical and rational investments to accomplish resilient petroleum supply chains in Cambodia – a better oil supply chain in the future.
CitationGeneral Department of Petroleum, Ministry of Mines and Energy of Cambodia. 2022. Cambodia Petroleum Master Plan 2021. © Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia. http://hdl.handle.net/11540/14829.
Energy Development Finance
World Trade Organization
Regional development bank
Supply and demand
Regional trading blocs
Foreign trade and employment
Foreign trade regulation
Transport capacityShow allCollapse